Sunday, May 6, 2012

Spring Cleaning: Letting go


This is probably an extension of the previous post. Borders on the same subject.

In the quest for self definition, everything you think about, say, feel and want suddenly becomes super important. And you also learn that everything you're feeling is for a reason, and those reasons must be understood and not just shoved into the 'wrong' box.

This post is about letting go. Which is something I have great difficulty doing. I'm a hoarder and a clinger. I have the toughest time letting go of places, people and things. I have closets and drawers filled with things that I never use or even see for months but invariably have some inane emotional story that grants me the right to keep them. My Dad always makes fun of my 'emotional attachment' to things, inanimate as they may be. Our VCR, for example, which was the source of all the Disney magic that filled my childhood, is still given the respect of being kept right under the TV in the TV cabinet. As are all of our VHS tapes.

Coming to the reason I'm writing today. Letting go is sometimes equated with 'giving up' or not trying hard enough or just not caring enough. And these equations have led me to believe that letting go isn't something good friends, good owners, good sons and daughters do. I have no idea how and when these notions were planted in my head and, hence, have no reason to continue believing them today. 

Ergo, I call for once-in-a-lifetime summer life cleaning. Starting now, I shall attempt to throw out all of the:
unsubstantiated reasoning, unnecessary emotional attachments, impractical theories and, last but in no way the least, drawer crap.

To letting go. Salute! (Cheers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment